24 February 2008

Hello again!
Tried 360 yesterday, love it!

The rest of the British team arrived a few days ago, and we’ve been having fun racing around the mountain with them, and doing drills together. It’s great to follow, listen to and learn from the other athletes and coach; a real privilege to be a part of the team. NorAm (North American) races are fast approaching, I can’t believe how quickly this season’s gone!

We’ve had a week of bright sunny, warm weather, a welcome shock to the system after the cold snap. We’ve been mostly training GS which is fun and fast, and slalom, which is really technical. I had a big crash last week, flipped over a couple of times, not pleasant in a sit-ski but inevitable once in a while. Somehow both the ski and I survived despite a face full of snow. I should have taken a few more minutes to recover, but got up and skied down through the powder close to the B (safety) netting, where the powpow was freshest. Unfortunately my outrigger got caught in the snow, which spun me round, and I ended up exceedingly tangled in the netting. A sense of humour is vital for learning this sport!

When I first got on the British development squad, I was hiring or borrowing equipment, and couldn’t afford a lightweight wheelchair let alone a sit-ski, but a ‘Mystery Donor’ came to the rescue, sponsoring me with a sit-ski. Thank you very much Mystery Donor! I would also like to thank my incredibly generous friends, family, and other anonymous donors, Two Seasons Snowboard shop and everyone who’s helped me get this far. You have been so kind. An incredible £3081.81 has been raised through my sponsored biathlon, which has paid for me to get out here, train and pay for skis and kit. Without everyone’s generosity I would have seriously struggled to be where I am today and it really is much appreciated. After this season I shall be looking for a job!

Thanks for taking an interest in my blog, if there’s anything you’d like to know, email me at annaturney@gmail.com