10 February 2008

It’s been a busy month; I’ve learnt so much and have so much more to learn. I went from having never skied gates to doing a speed camp and being the fastest female sit-skier in a local super G! What a rush! Riding the course at speed was an incredible buzz, the same intense shot of adrenaline and satisfaction as snowboarding down a steep tree run, pushing it to the limits. In one word, ‘awesome’! I broke 78km/hour on the radar in a speed trap, gimme a skin-tight racing suit and a steeper hill and I’ll be flying!

Andy, a mechanically minded sit-skier on the Canadian team has been working on the suspension of my sit-ski whilst I watch and learn. I’ve also been learning all about ski tuning and practising lots! The right kit is essential to succeed in this sport and I’m enjoying learning how it works.

Tim and Sean from the British team have returned from competing in Europe and the World Cup and joined Jane and me training out here. We’ve been working hard on slalom, trying to lift the tempo and get those turns really quick, which is great fun out of the gates but somewhat frustrating for me at present in them. I hit a gate wrong the other day, somersaulted and broke my slalom ski, but at least skis are replaceable.

Mogul training with the team and tree skiing with locals was a good challenge today. By the end of the season I will be bouncing down through them at speed! I managed to avoid all the trees and got some air too, which reminds me of the delights of snowboarding!

Otherwise life’s going well. Last weekend I ventured out of Kimberly to explore Cranbrook, the next town along, with lovely Canadian Aly. It made a nice change from the hotel and the ski hill that have been my home for the past month. So my skiing progresses, I’m getting to know the locals and the days fly by.