5 July 2010

Sports Personality Awards



Last November, cousin Debi and Richard who run a lovely old pub restaurant, the Malt Shovel in Gaydon, Warwickshire, hosted a magnificent 3 course dinner and fundraising event, raising £700 towards my training costs. Thank you so much, Malt Shovel team!

A few months ago, cousin Debi phoned to say that her daughter Laura’s school, Stratford-upon-Avon Grammar, had expressed an interest in me speaking at their Sports Awards.

Visiting a girls’ school for the first time since playing hockey matches aged 17 was an interesting experience. Having felt a little dubious about girls’ school, talking at Stratford-upon-Avon Grammar School for Girls was a very pleasant surprise. The pupils have the opportunities to play a huge range of sports and a number of the girls are talented and play for both county and national teams. I therefore themed my talk around working hard to develop talent and achieve YOUR potential. As I have discovered, hard work is central to success.




The girls were confident and fun and a great audience. After presenting sports personality prizes, I was invited to the BBQ and watched as many children sat in (and fell out of) my monoski. No damage was done and much fun was had by all!

No comments: